Friday, April 19, 2013

Hey look, an abandoned train car!

Let's take pictures!

I had a few dresses I finished recently, and when I saw this on my run I called a friend for a little photo shoot. We got through two of them before any awkward encounters. 

The first is a simple princess-seamed shift I made out of some blue and white striped cotton I found. Its a nice fabric with an almost sateen finish. I spruced it up a bit with a scalloped hem and a lapped zipper. I really must write about lapped zippers. They're wonderful. 


This one went together fairly easily. The way I cut the pattern made the stripes not line quite the way I wanted (on the other side from this picture, conveniently enough.) But it looks fine, if not quite what I intended. I've been using this method for doing scalloped hems, and it has always worked well for me. I also had to add a pleat in the neckline. I often have too much fabric in the necklines -- anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?


But really though, don't I look like a right proper bird off for a rail adventure? I had a little sweater, and some prim gloves too. 



The second dress is one I finished a while ago, and I immediately broke the zipper. I finally got it replaced. Again, a fairly simple pattern, Simplicity 2444 to be exact, but I added a lace overlay to the skirt and some lace details at the waist and neck.


Honestly, I don't remember much about this construction, which means It was probably fairly normal. It does have pockets, which always makes a dress better. 


I definitely want to try this pattern again. It has some interesting angled front darts, which are really flattering. I will lengthen the waist though. I like a little higher waist for such a dolly-like dress, but generally I cater to my long torso. 

Little secret: I love this picture. Its not often a little lacy dress looks kind of badass.

Gold Star to the seekers of rail adventure. Also to MOC for taking the pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment