Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Completed Endeavor

I'm going to make it a habit to post the little projects I'm working on here, mostly because that holds me to actually finishing them. My endeavors are not all work related, after all. 


As stated before,  I possess a list of projects (as Clockwork Lemon puts it, my "Things I would rather be doing than studying"-- procrastination is a strong motivator, in its own way.) So here's one I've actually finished. Excuse the quality of the pictures -- my camera has mysteriously disappeared, but I refuse to let it deter me.


Endeavor 1:


What can you do with a quarter yard of chiffon?



I picked this up for the first project, but it was far too pretty to throw away when it got reduced to scraps, so I just kept making and making. So over the next few days I'm going to share just what you can to do use up the little bits. 


Project 1: Sandal Update


I bought these sandals on a Payless clearance for a Renaissance Faire outfit, but haven't been able to apply them practically to my wardrobe. So i devised a plan to bring them back into the fold before they met the Goodwill bag. I had inspiration, however, I can no longer find the picture responsible...


But here are the sandals at the start... lacking a little personality for my taste.



First, cut three-inch long strips to the length you want your ties. These will make 1 1/2 inch ties, which were about as thick as I could get away with and still make it through the holes in my sandals. (I used a double length of the fabric, so four strips in total) 


Next, sew the strips together along one end.


Then, iron the strips in half, with the seam on the outside. (I did this incorrectly in the above photo, in other words....) 




Then you sew up the raw edges to form a tube.

To finish it off, turn the tube inside out, and tie knots in the ends. You can also turn the ends to the inside and topstich across the end, but I kind of like the unfinished edge. Replace the old lacings, and congratulations. You've started to finish off your scraps. Its a long and arduous journey, I know.  

And here is the finished product, modeled by my lovely feet...



And as for the leftovers, well, you're going to have to tune in to find out. 

Gold Star to anyone else who bears the "burden" of a quilting mother.


1 comment:

  1. I have a quilting mother too!! I like this game...lots of gold stars for me. :)

    ReplyDelete