Thursday, October 6, 2011

Finished!

Yay! I love finishing projects. Being able to place them on their own hanger in my closet is such a wonderful feeling. Like letting free my hand-raised baby bird... except its not free literally, its just free to be style. I shouldn't be required to make up brilliant metaphors at midnight.

Anyway, project one: a dress. This has actually been done for a long while, but I forgot about it. It's been buried in my to-do pile because I need to reset the panel in the front (so excuse any puckering -- it is currently fixed with safety pins.)

 I revamped this dress from a Volunteer's of America find. I forgot to take a "before" picture, it was originally white with blue and yellow checks. I over-dyed it Kelly green, made and added the trims, cut a new neckline, and set a zipper in the back (the waist was narrow -- it fit my waist, but not the curves surrounding.)

The trim at the waist and hem is made from two ribbons found in my mom's stash with some double-sided iron-on tape, and a lot of small-width zig-zag stitches. Then I used the thinner ribbon at the neck, stabilized on the back with bias tape and zig-zagged over the top.
(the aforementioned trim in close-up)

(and a really awkward-angle close-up of the trimming at the front.)

Project two: a skirt made from scratch. For some reason, a tan button-front skirt has been on my list. I've never been a tan or beige person, but neutrals have been really attractive lately. I guess I'm growing up?

(with my sweater temporarily crop-topped to show off the waist. I don't actually own anything cropped, due to a lifetime of suffering tops being short on my abnormally long torso)

(yay successful spin picture!)

(and the best feature of this skirt is, adjustable decoration! I sewed this button to a snap, so I could wear it under close fitting tops without awkward bulges, but then I can also have this feature...)

(you can switch it out for a bow!)



(I'm wearing leggings, my legs don't just disappear after the skirt, in case you were wondering.)

(excuse the blurriness. But this is my little hidey-hole for the button so I don't lose it, made with an extra snap)

Gold Star to all the Peter Pans who will never grow up, neutrals or no neutrals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment