Thursday, September 29, 2011

For the love of Post-Its

(taken from here -- which has other cool art)

A long, passionate affair indeed.

If you look on my desk, alongside jars of pencils and some choice items to inspire me, you will find piles of Post-Its -- both used and of many variates of lovely crisp newness. 

I have been gathering pretty Post-Its for a while, but they really became a go-to item in college. I couldn't bring myself to violate books by writing or highlighting them, even though textbooks are low on the levels of book sanctity. So, I used Post-It notes. To this day, you can tell which books I used in lit classes because I never bothered to remove the many colorful passage markers. 

After a while, I began making my own little flags by (slightly obsessively) tearing bigger Post-Its into tiny line markers. 

Now, I use them in my job, to pull out passages of my company's books that are clever, define them, or make them unique. My current assignment has me writing promotional materials, which require many of these little nuggets. 

They really are one of my most often used tools, in that they allow me to keep track of the things that jump out at me, require my attention, and need to be remembered. It allows me to keep track of my reading in a way I need to do when I'm working with books, as opposed to reading for pleasure. 

Gold Star to everyone who can't bear to write on their books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment