Sunday, September 11, 2011

Musings in memorium

I drove by a 9/11 memorial today.

It's is so odd to think that was ten years ago. Something that has changed so much of my politically formative years must have been sooner, right?

At the same time, I remember the exact moment in my seventh-grade class when my peers and I walked into the large multi-purpose room to see teachers crowded around a television screen, and five minutes later when the teachers explained why they had left their posts. Perhaps it's because my main teacher had the foresight to make us write where we were and what we felt. I still have that essay, with the little American flag doodled in the top corner. And seventh grade feels lifetimes away, unlike the event that happened then.

One of the recent musings, I've had occurred one day when I picked up a book with a New York skyline, and realized the two towers dominating that particular picture were no longer there.

I didn't have anyone but a distant relative in New York, so the whole thing is oddly detached to me. I knew that even as I sat at home after school, compelled into watching the news. I've experienced more of aftershocks in airport security more than any other part of the event.

So I guess the best way I can commemorate is by thinking, and wondering, and hoping the people who have lost their lives due to this day a decade ago are safely ensconced in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment