Sunday, September 18, 2011

A writerly affair

So, another thing I would like to get started is a posting of things I use as a writer, to help inspire me and assist in my job. A sort of "what's in my purse," had I a Merry Poppins bag devoted to all things writerly.


I first read Nicole Krauss in my contemporary lit class, and she is definitely an example of "writerly" fiction. Not only in her use of unique forms, but in that she tends to write about writers. In Great House, like a History of Love, my lit-class introduction, she weaves together stories of several seeming strangers in a dreamily seamless way. And in Great House, you get the lives of writers from the writers and their families, illustrating the eccentricities of a creative mind, and how people love and cherish them. And you get this superimposed with other lives and stories, all layered together brilliantly. I read this book and  see in the characters and language why I chose to write. A good reminder to keep handy :)

Gold star to anyone whoever masters the Mary Poppins bag someday in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment