Sunday, January 29, 2012

The perils of seamstressing

So I need to post another inspiration post, but I've been in a weird place of not being particularly inspired by anything but quite creatively productive, and feeling the need to isolate the productivity-causer. It's probably just that my list got too long. Anyway, I don't feel like thinking now, so something will happen next week -- when I'm more inspired by something -- maybe music.

Anyway, I do feel like writing slightly humorous prose. Since my household has been victim to several sewing-related injuries lately, I present Anna's list of safety tips for seamstresses:

1. Beware of fitting fits of conniption. Seamstresses sometimes crave perfection, and after the fifth time they sew a seam, symptoms similar to Tourette's can be witnessed.

2. Pick up your pins. Seamstresses are far more prone to comical injuries (sat on, stepped on, etc) than even the most classic of cartoon gaffes.

3. Watch your iron. If you see emo-kid burns on the arms of an otherwise stable-looking female, they could very will be a seamstress.

4. Be careful with your lighting. Seamstresses should work in a well-lit space, wearing appropriate eye gear to avoid strain. They should also not leave lighting sources on the floor, lest a well-placed Godzilla stomp should shatter an important source of illumination.

5. Keep well-organized fabric bins, and think judiciously when in fabric stores.. The fabric avalanche is an ever present danger for the seamstress, as are what-the-%@##-am-I-going-to-do-with-all-this-inspired panic attacks.

Gold Star to the craftily clumsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment