Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The right book at the right time

So, cheesy as it may be, one of my favorite books is The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. It's a good book, certainly, but that's not really why it's one of my favorites.

I love it because it's proof that the right books find us. When I first read TSTP, I was amidst the angst of leaving high school, moving on to college, and leaving decade-old friendships. And, if you've read the book, you can have no problem imagining how it comforted my worries, with its message that the important ones will always be there, even if you're separated, even if you drift from each other. And it's proven true. After four years of college and a homecoming, the important ones are still there.

And further proving the literary magic, I picked the movie to watch last night, looking for something chick-flicky that I'd seen before (see, the favorites). And lo and behold, as I deal with my one roommate being hours away in Chicago, a good portion of my best friends an hour away (a long way when one can't afford gas), and my other roommate/best friend/soul sister soon going to Korea, the right words showed up at the right time yet again.

Books can do that, it's in their magic.

Gold Star to the believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment