Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oh, Beauty

If you just looked at the pictures, you'd think this is a really vain title. But the beauty is the pictures! I'm so in love with my new camera, and I don't yet know a third of what it can do. If I know that.

 In fact, it's so wonderful, I was a little intimidated to take pictures of myself -- with that kind of resolution, surely it would pick up my obnoxious band-aids, slightly stubbly legs, and bumpy, dry skin (an allergic reaction to winter, no doubt). But the pictures are lovely.


Of course, I needed a retro do and accessories to complement. 


It even captures my special faces! 

But I'll spare you the odes and sonnets and talk about the subject -- the blue dress. Entirely out-of-season here in Michigan, but unfortunately inspiration doesn't necessarily follow the calendar. I've actually had it done for a while (it only took me about two days of concentrated effort), but I needed to reset the zipper -- never a task I rush to do.


It is made from McCall's pattern M6331 but with a skirt I drafted myself -- meaning I traced a skirt with the silhouette I wanted and the proper waist measurement. What makes this pattern nice (in addition to being adorable) is that you can tailor it to your cup size. So it sews up with a pretty good fit before fittings.

I like the skirt included, but a.) I wanted something more akin to a wiggle dress, and b.) I didn't have near enough fabric to do a full skirt. Old poor college student habit -- I buy the minimum fabric I can get away with. Or I buy a bit off the end of a bolt for the discount and try to apply it to a fabric-intensive project...


But nonetheless, I like the result, especially belted. Don't tell anyone, but there was a teensy rumple in the waist seam hidden under there -- some intensive ironing and a few hand stitches will take care of that.


And yes, my sweater clips are actually pokemon. I'll get some real ones someday.


Gold star to those who happen to have pokemon accessories...

No comments:

Post a Comment